top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Find Out More

Welcome to the ROBLES AGENCY.  We have compiled some of the questions we get asked the most. We specialize in a variety of fields and have knowledge pertaining to many areas. Our team will do our best to answer all of your questions and concerns. If you can’t find the answer you are looking for, please get in touch.

In addition to proof of your identity, and the identities of your family members, documents you should bring to us at Robles Agency include:

  1. Social Security cards

  2. Income statements such as W-2s and MISC-1099s

  3. Tax forms that report other types of income, such as Schedule K-1 for trusts, partnership and S corporations

  4. Tax deduction records

  5. Expense receipts

Although these forms are called information returns, they serve different functions.

Employers use Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement to:

  • Report wages, tips, and other compensation paid to an employee.

  • Report the employee's income and social security taxes withheld and other information.

Employers furnish the Form W-2 to the employee and the Social Security Administration. The Social Security Administration shares the information with the Internal Revenue Service.

Payers use Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Information or Form 1099-NEC, Nonemployee Compensation to:

  • Report payments made of at least $600 in the course of a trade or business to a person who's not an employee for services (Form 1099-NEC).

  • Report payments of $10 or more made in the course of a trade or business in gross royalties or payments of $600 or more made in the course of a trade or business in rents or for other specified purposes (Form 1099-MISC).

  • Report payment information to the IRS and the person or business that received the payment.


What is the age limit to claim my child as a dependent?

To claim your child as your dependent, your child must meet either the qualifying child test or the qualifying relative test:

  • To meet the qualifying child test, your child must be younger than you and either younger than 19 years old or be a "student" younger than 24 years old as of the end of the calendar year.

  • There's no age limit if your child is "permanently and totally disabled" or meets the qualifying relative test.

In addition to meeting the qualifying child or qualifying relative test, you can claim that person as a dependent only if these three tests are met:

  1. Dependent taxpayer test

  2. Citizen or resident test, and

  3. Joint return test

Heading 1

No, an individual may be a dependent of only one taxpayer for a tax year. You can claim a child as a dependent if he or she is your qualifying child. Generally, the child is the qualifying child of the custodial parent. The custodial parent is the parent with whom the child lived for the longer period of time during the year.

However, the child will be treated as the qualifying child of the noncustodial parent if the special rule for children of divorced or separated parents (or parents who live apart) applies. See Publication 504, Divorced or Separated Individuals for more information. This rule requires in part, that both of the following conditions are met:

If the custodial parent releases a claim to exemption for a child, the noncustodial parent may claim the child as a dependent and as a qualifying child for the child tax credit or credit for other dependents. However, the noncustodial parent may not claim the child for the purpose of claiming head of household filing status, the earned income credit, the credit for child and dependent care expenses, the exclusion for dependent care benefits, or the health coverage tax credit.

bottom of page